Introducing The Hay: Pebble Beach’s Reimagined Short Course
New short course and putting course designed by Tiger Woods set to open April 16
PEBBLE BEACH, CALIF. (March 22, 2021) – On April 16, Pebble Beach Company will unveil an exciting enhancement to its famed golf portfolio. The Hay, located on the site of the former Peter Hay Golf Course, features a dramatically re-designed nine-hole short course, the Resort’s first-ever putting course, and a new restaurant with an expansive outdoor patio positioned to take in the property’s majestic views of the short course, Carmel Bay and Point Lobos. Created in partnership with golf legend Tiger Woods and his TGR Design firm, The Hay is designed to attract and engage golfers of all abilities and ages.
The Hay carries forward the legacy of its original creator, Peter Hay, long-time Head Professional at both Pebble Beach and Del Monte golf courses. Among Hay’s many attributes was a passion for introducing newcomers, particularly juniors, to the game. In 1957, he was given the unique opportunity to develop one of the country’s first short courses on this precious land. That legacy will continue as juniors age 12 and under will play the short course for free, and all golfers will have access to the putting course for no cost.
Woods has amplified Hay’s vision for the property in a way few could have imagined, having re-routed the short course holes to maximize the magnificent views and celebrate Pebble Beach’s rich history. Every detail lends itself to a fun and unforgettable golf experience for families, beginners, juniors, corporate groups, and avid golfers alike. Among its noteworthy features:
- Hole #2: an exact replica of Pebble Beach Golf Links’ 7th hole, making one of the game’s most iconic holes accessible to more people.
- Each of the other eight holes’ yardage corresponds to a significant year in Pebble Beach history, with plaques on each tee telling the story, such as:
- Hole #4, 47 yards, “Bing”: In 1947, Bing Crosby brought the original Pro-Am tournament to Pebble Beach. The event is now known as the AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am and is one of the longest-running and most charitable events on the PGA TOUR.
- Hole #9, 100 yards, “Tiger”: In 2000, Tiger Woods crushed the field at the 100th U.S. Open Championship at Pebble Beach.
- The new putting course, which will rotate regularly through over a dozen different routings, will be the perfect place to introduce a beginner to the game, sharpen the skills of an avid player, or unwind before dinner.
- The new restaurant is perched behind the ninth green, just steps away from the Pebble Beach Golf Academy and a short walk to the first tee of Pebble Beach Golf Links. This casual indoor and outdoor venue is set to open this fall.
The course will open for individual play and group events beginning 16th April 2021 with reservations available now.
The Hay Logo
The logo for The Hay was inspired by the story of Peter Hay serving as Chief Marshal for Bobby Jones during the 1929 U.S. Amateur at Pebble Beach, the first national golf championship contested west of the Mississippi River.
During the opening round, the crowd following Jones began running between shots to catch a glimpse of the superstar. Hay restored order to the gallery with his unmistakable presence and assertive commands that were said to have “shaken the sea lions.” His efforts were appreciated by Jones, who later referred to Hay as the world’s greatest golf marshal.
The visual inspiration for the logo came from a 1938 photo of a trained sea lion during a promotional shoot at Del Monte, where Hay was the head pro from 1919 to 1942.
A golf trip to Pebble Beach is on the majority of every golfers bucket list. The planning involved to ensure tee times, accommodation, dinner reservations etc. all fall into place can be quite daunting to arrange for such a busy resort. At TheGolfPA.com, we take care of all of this for you so that you can relax and enjoy the wonderful experience.
Call us: +44 28 7032 6707 or email [email protected] with your desired dates of travel and we can plan a dream golf trip for you at one of the best golfing destinations on the planet.
All Images (c) Pebble Beach Resorts Company